Want to achieve beachy waves but don’t want to damage your hair with the high temperatures of hot tools? Beach waves can be easy to achieve with just a blow dryer or, even better if you have the time, air dry! There are some great Aveda products which help with this. Just follow these steps:
- Prep your wet hair with Aveda Brilliant Damage Control or Pure Abundance Style Prep to detangle and provide heat protection from the blow dryer.
- Lift your hair in sections and spray Aveda’s Volumizing Tonic at the base of the hair to add some lift and texture.
- Use your fingertips to lift the roots of your hair in an upward direction while blow drying in an upward direction. Use the flat nozzle that comes with your dryer. This will help focus the direction of airflow and help you keep control of your hair. Blow dry until your hair is about 60-70% dry.
- Spray Aveda’s new Thickening Tonic all over the hair, concentrating most of the product on the mids and ends of the hair. This will add the perfect amount of beachy texture and grit.
- Part your hair where you prefer and section your hair into 2-4 sections, depending on how tight or loose you want the waves to be. Having fewer sections will create looser waves, and vice versa. It is best to create zig-zag parts in between each section to avoid any obvious splits in the hair when it is dry.
- Next, take each section and either braid the hair, securing with a loose elastic at the end, or twist the hair into small buns, securing with flat clips or pins so as not to leave a crease. Tip: leave the ends out to create a more beachy look.
- Hit each section with the blow dryer for 5-10 minutes or until the hair feels dry. Once dry, undo braids or buns.
- Blow dry the hair one last time, scrunching to give it some extra bend and finish with the cool shot setting of your blow dryer. This will help the waves last longer.
- Lastly, take some Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid and Light Elements Defining Whip, mix together a pea-sized amount of each in your palms, and run through your hair. This will add the perfect amount of shine, definition, and tame any frizz.