Hair trends come and go, but healthy, luscious hair is always in style. After all, the time and money spent on trying out the latest hair trends are not worth it if your hair’s foundation isn’t healthy and strong.
Improving the health of your hair is surprisingly easy if you adopt healthy hair habits. There are small daily things you can do—or refrain from doing—to improve the appearance of your hair and make it healthy from the inside out.
- Try to use heat styling products sparingly. Heat = damage. When possible, allow your hair to air dry naturally. Apply appropriate products to reduce unwanted frizz.
- If you must use heat styling products, apply a heat protectant beforehand. Aveda’s Brilliant Damage control spray is both a heat protectant and also a great detangler.
- Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfates, which strip hair of its natural oils. There are many natural products that can be used to cleanse hair such as apple cider vinegar.
- Don’t wash your hair every day. Aim to wash your hair about three times a week. Over-washing hair will strip your hair and dry out your scalp. However not washing your hair enough might lead to oily hair and clogged hair follicles. It’s a balance.
- Nourish your hair and body from within. Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. Eat a healthy diet that contains healthy fats found in foods such as fish and avocados. An added plus is taking supplements like vitamin D and biotin that have been proven to benefit hair.